Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am Dominican and I am going natural

I am a Dominican American woman who has decided that after many years of relaxers and Dominican hair salons it is time to GO NATURAL! I am doing this for many reasons, mainly because I am very curious of what my real hair looks like. My mother began to relax my hair when I was 9 years old and to be completely honest, I don't remember what it looked like. Every time the new growth came in I would touch it and wonder why it felt so foreign.

I am currently residing in the Dominican Republic a country whose inhabitants are mostly blacks, but don't recognize it or want to admit it. Having my hair in its natural state, is in one way or another a political statement and a way to embrace something that is constantly being rejected by society. The kind of hair I have is considered literally Bad Hair, or Cabello Malo and of course the opposite is considered Good Hair, or Cabello Bueno. I am determined to at least bring to question the subject at hand in the circles that I associate myself with. I know I can't change an entire country with a racist discriminatory history that is too deeply rooted to be touched by only one person; however, I hope that with my actions I can not only learn how love myself, my hair, my blackness even more, but that I can inspire other black women to break free from the terrible notions of Cabello Malo v. Cabello Bueno.

I will be uploading pictures and videos of my process. Natural hair, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment